Sunday, March 16, 2008

Home

I weave us a home out of hope and protective magic
a gentle golden sphere to keep nightmares out
and sanity in

I strengthen our walls
with goodbye kisses, instructions for the day
Do your homework, I say,
And don’t forget to play outside

So why, when I come home, is something always broken
shattered like a troublesome spirit
went through convulsions
No explanation granted, and much to be undone?

Maybe my magic failed, or I left a door by which secrets may leave
and mischief can come in
throwing our lives upside down again

Or have I trapped something inside, some chaos
that I thought I had banished forever?

Rachel Westfall
March 16, 2008



16 comments:

Mike Grieco said...

Rachel. Beautiful Rachel. If anyone can fix what is broken, it is you. ;)
Wonderful photo of a wonderful boy!

*Shine-on*

RachelW said...

Thanks, Mike; you are so sweet!

Milena said...

Nice poem! I am curious... how do you contain something you don't possess?

RachelW said...

You mean sanity? Hehehe, you know me too well! ;)

Milena said...

Glad I didn't have to explain. :p

Anonymous said...

When other living creatures share your home, you can never lock out all chaos, and the door is always open to unexpected secrets. :-)

Mia

RachelW said...

That, Mia, is precisely the problem!

Anonymous said...

Hi Milena,
Care to share something with me? I can keep a secret ;)

RachelW said...

Ah, well even your name is secret... so you must be telling the truth!

Milena said...

Nah.

Anonymous said...

"Nah"! But why?? Why i ask?

Milena said...

Here's a secret.. I have cabbage roll gas.

RachelW said...

Milena, thank you for sharing such an enlightening secret on my blog. I feel like I know you intimately now. I'm sure anonymous does, too. Hey anonymous, aren't you happy you asked?

Anonymous said...

Hi Milena - You finally returned. Wonderful.
But why? Why do you tell me that you have a gastrointestinal explosion (from "cabbage rolls"), when i ask- if you like to share a secret with me?
But why,i ask?
What does 'food and the gut' reaction have to do with my previous question, Melena? Or dare i ask?
Ahh! Hmm! Ok. Say no more if you wish.
Ciao, ciao.

RachelW said...

I have to wonder, how did I end up with an infestation of anonymous Italians on my blog?

Milena said...

Anonymous: I don't presume to know you and your relationships with friends and family, but I don't share my gastrointestinal secrets with just anybody. I am hurt that after taking a risk and exposing my vulnerable side to you, you mock my sincerity.

sniff.