Saturday, March 15, 2008

A love letter

The kids are playing monopoly on the floor beside me and a cat is walking over my keyboard; it's a beautiful sunny, cold Saturday and we should really be outside right now. Since I can't write something new with all this rowling distraction, I've dug an older poem out of my files to post here. It always brings up a confused ball of emotion in me to read poems I wrote in the past. It takes me right back to what I was experiencing at the time.


A love letter

Sister-brother
Little one
Fuzzy head, soft cheek
You cannot be
You have no right
No right to be
Mother death has taken you

Brother-sister
Nameless one
Chubby legs, navel deep
No milky smell
To waft from warm, dark head
While sister’s arms
Cradle you

Sister-brother
Soft one
Little head, downy cheek
You are gone
Erased by mother night
Your existence
Null and void

Brother-sister
Blameless one
Tiny smile, fingers seek
Nobody asked me
Nobody asked you
If our hearts held enough love
For one another

Rachel Westfall
January 10, 2003




No comments: