Saturday, April 12, 2008

Daydream

If you could run anywhere, anywhere at all
where would you go?

What would you take with you?
Follow-dogs for companionship, maybe a photo
creased and worn, a book, a bag
or would you take
nothing at all?

If you could leave behind that load
you carry on your back
the one you haven’t put down lately
if at all
who would you be?

Would you still be you?

If I encountered you then
in a mysterious
tropical place far from here, fragrant with spices
and impossible blossoms
would I know you?
Would you know me?

Or would you pass me by, just another
stranger on the road,
frown
briefly,
smooth your brow
and carry on your way?

Rachel Westfall
April 12, 2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you better now. Your poetry is beautifully direct --obvious in a wonderfully reassuring way. I/We follow your words like stepping stones to the infinite.

Michael Tierra

RachelW said...

Thank you, Michael; I'm glad you have found your way here! Wish I could be at the seminar this year. I'll be with you all in spirit only this time...