Saturday, April 5, 2008

Orchard

What if I discover a ripe peach
still on the branch,
brush my cheek past its pointed leaves,
rich shining green reflecting sunlight
and find its
soft
feathery
skin?

What if I take that peach
into my mouth,
the whole fruit, skin unbroken
its texture
grasping
the roughness of my tongue?

What if I hold that peach
in my mouth
just
for
a
moment
before biting hard,
juice running down my chin-
before biting hard, would I
be able to taste its
sudden
sweetness
from memory alone?

Rachel Westfall
April 5, 2008

4 comments:

guess who said...

Ahh! The power of memory. Sweet and salty ;)

You just wait until I spill the beans. I mean the seeds.

Seeds from overheated zucchini
as nourishing as the nuts from the peach
soft ripe juicy peach
yum, yum, Wow,
Ooo, ahhhh
and the zucchini once again
goes soft, the soft and warm
juices spread from this cucumber
like squash is both sweet
and salty,
life giving
creating a new life
enjoy.

Enough for now. I need to get some sleep.
Sweet dreams, beautiful ;)

RachelW said...

Ah Guess Who, you are quite a poet!

In fact, you have inspired me to write a limerick, just for you.

There once was a hot young zucchini
Who rode in a lamborghini
But when it did crash
That zucchini did smash
Thus ending the fun in Takhini

Kyddryn said...

Heh..one of these days, love, I'll explain why the phrase "canning peaches" makes me giggle.

Hmm...every now and then, I could eat a peach...muah...

Shade and Sweetwater,
K, who is studiously ignoring the silliness above because snorting hot tea out one's nose is just no fun

RachelW said...

Haha! Kyddryn, yes please, do explain. As for the hot tea, well, it's good for the sinuses to have a cleanse now and then, right?