Thursday, February 12, 2009

little bird

This is a poem I wrote last May. I brought it forward because it goes so beautifully with yesterday's Valentine.

little bird

I watched the girl swing
in deep, smooth arcs, with
her head held back
as far as it
would go.

I could not see
her face, but I knew her
shining-coal eyes
were open.

The sky would streak by,
the wind-sculpted clouds
sketched over hot-blue
nitrogen.

She seemed to taste
what it means
to fly.

I would give her
wings if I could;
not the heavy ornamental
appendages
of an eagle, weighted
with legend,

but the slim dart-wings
of a swallow.


Rachel Westfall
May 25, 2008

8 comments:

Sean Zhong said...

Is it your poem? How lovely!

-----

Hello, I’m from Asia. I casually visit your blog and find it so interesting. You’ve got a pretty nice blog.

RachelW said...

Hey Sean, thanks for visiting! I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. Yes, I write these poems-- in my spare time, so to speak. :)

Poetikat said...

You should frame this one and give it to your daughter as a birthday gift so she can treasure it as an heirloom for the rest of her life. (I'm making an assumption here.)

Kat

sawan said...

8 months had not done any hrarm to your words.. its as fresh as it was written in the last minute!! luvly :)

Lisa said...

oh to have wings- yes x

christopher said...

yer a purty gud poetizer

RachelW said...

Thanks y'all! :) Kat, I'd love to print the valentine and the poem, and put them into a paired frame for her. Maybe I will... Meanwhile, I'm working on a valentine for my son. And apparently he is working on one for all three of us to share, with a poem inside! I can't wait to see it.

Karen said...

Beautiful! I love the image of the wings.