Sunday, July 27, 2008

closet

it is dark in here.

quiet.

so quiet you can hear
the rush of fluid through
your head as your heart
beats; so dark you can

sense but not see
the Drosophila meandering
zig-zag
across your screen.

deprived of steady electronic
hum and sensory overstimulation
what will you seek?

touch your skin and
you may find nerve
endings that were lost
have come alive, reaching

for the promise of light
with the certainty of night
seedlings at the new moon.


Rachel Westfall
July 27, 2008

3 comments:

Kyddryn said...

Ooh...

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

devilsivy said...

I need to deprive myself of the electronic hum to perceive more clearly what I keep hidden. Thank you for the thought of what could be found!

RachelW said...

I wish I could get away from electronic hum and artificial light. It's something I've done so rarely, but I find it so very beneficial. And then there is the social hum around us all the time... it can help to withdraw from that sometimes, too. So very hard to find a silent, dark place to just be in for a while.