Monday, July 28, 2008

just another suburban evening

those people next door pull up
in their shiny clean car and get out
smiling at nothing
skull-like
looking anywhere but
towards me

these are not neighbours
they are just next-door people, nothing more

they hustle into their house
shut the door
tight
before unwanted eye contact happens

contaminating them with something?

maybe it’s the garden soil
under my fingernails, the sweat
I brush off my forehead as I
stand up from gardening and
push my hair back, or maybe
its the colour of my skin
or it could be madness they fear,
some contagion, some social disability

now is it my imagination, or has
their house begun to lean now
ever so slightly
away
from mine?


Rachel Westfall
July 28, 2008

4 comments:

Kyddryn said...

If your madness is catching, I'll have some please.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

RachelW said...

I have plenty to spare... please help yourself! Would you like to come be my new neighbour? We could be mad together, while our devilish children hatch plots to take over the world!

mik mike said...

I feel the same DAM way.

Who needs neighbours, anyway?

Give me my sanity back, i want peace...

RachelW said...

There are always neighbours. Near or far. How can we avoid them? Even an intentional community will hve neighbours beyond its borders, people who don't jive well with the community. Maybe we could all trade neighbours from time to time, until everyone ends up in a situation they are happy with.