Thursday, October 30, 2008

Karaoke in Autumn

Today's guest poet is Milena King, nee Westfall, aka my mischievous little sister. Ahem. I have warned her that she will likely receive many invitations for speaking engagements now that she has gone public with her writing.

If you like this one, you can find another of Milena's brilliant poems in the Comments section of this post. At that time, she was writing under the pen-name Gabriel, most likely to keep her talents hidden from the public eye for just a little bit longer.

Update 10/31/08: Milena has now named her poem Karaoke in Autumn. I've updated the title of this post to reflect this new name.

Update 11/03/08: Milena has submitted a photo of two of her offspring demonstrating the fine art of vocal entertainment. This talent must run in the family! I wonder, do they also write poetry?



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Karaoke in Autumn

My fingers trace a path through four years of dust
Why did I forget?

I race down the stairs with my treasure
My heartbeat must be audible

Male connects with female, and the dead breathes new life

Static radiates from a blue screen
The tiny hairs on my cheeks stand to attention

Ahem

I dedicate this to my loved ones
The beat resonates through the old house like a steam train

One more deep breath and I will be reborn
A more heartfelt tribute to Patsy, there has never been

Relax. Wait for applause.
Why am I alone?

Milena King

2 comments:

devilsivy said...

One is never alone, just lonesome, wailing country from the heart and gut. Encore!

RachelW said...

I wish we could include the sound file of Milena's song here; her singing talent outstrips even her poetic prowess.