Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Man doesn't judge Yukon by its bigotry

Just passing through? Check a piece of yourself at the door
your skin, that would be a good choice
You see, we come from all over
but we don’t like your model around here
No, sir

Good men like me, we come live up here
way up here to get away from you sorts, the likes of you
who would steal our women
Yes you would

See how they look at you, up and down
as if all they see is beauty
and majesty, and they can't smell your stink,
your stain

They looked at me that way once
I swear they did
Yes, I too was beautiful in their eyes, once
when I bought them drinks
drinks, drinks

But since you came round, that light
has gone from their eyes, just gone
and they only have eyes
for you

So you’re just passing through?
Check your skin at the door
cause we come from all over
but we don’t like your model around here
No, sir


Rachel Westfall
December 23, 2008


Man doesn't judge Yukon by its bigotry - Whitehorse Star

6 comments:

ExploreNorth said...

OUCH - that makes me embarrassed to be also called a Yukoner :(

RachelW said...

Yeah; the story made me feel the same way. Ashamed.

Mike G said...

"Check your skin at the door"!! Well said...
What century are we in?

Red blood, heart, mind, soul, emotions et-cetra, WE ALL HAVE. WE are all sentient beings (humans AND nonhumans) are we not?

I have yet to hear the meaning of Yukons "Larger Than Life" slogan.

Kyddryn said...

Hmm...replace "Yukon" with "Southeastern United States" and you'd get where I live. Sigh. Why are humans so determined to find reasons to hate?

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

RachelW said...

I doubt the slogan was meant to be all-inclusive. What an awful thing that would be.

RachelW said...

So sad, Kyddryn.