Tuesday, January 6, 2009

what if

a lover would pick up my spark,
carry it, and return it to me
as a bold bright flame

while a partner would nurture my spark
filling with love and amazement
as it birthed creativity

a lover would mirror, magnify,
delight in, respond with
the spiral of energy between us

while a partner would hold, honour
support, encourage
the ongoing metamorphosis that life is

and not condemn, never

what if
you are the lover I want
but not the partner I need?


Rachel Westfall
January 6, 2009

12 comments:

gameover709 said...

oh, I love this! Thanks for visiting me, as it broought me back to you!

Faith said...

What a moving poem.

Poetikat said...

That's often the case in my experience (or at least it was before I married).

Kat

Meandering Michael said...

This is a neat one. The first three lines (and title) could stand alone as a phenomenal and thought-provoking poem.

Kyddryn said...

Aww, sweetie...

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

RachelW said...

Thanks everyone, for your comments! Kat, I've never been married, not officially... you must be in on some mystery I haven't every yet tapped into.

Guess who, you? said...

What if I were you and you were me?

What if the "lover" was a faker and the "partner a fake?

What if we all have a say in who plays what role in our lives?

What if this role is all an act? A cwack Jack?

What if the devil we know is the 'Angel' we want to know?

..and then what if life is just an illusion of our own making?

...Lovely Poem!

RachelW said...

Guess who-- exactly. If you keep twisting those words around, what do you get?

Poetikat said...

Rachel, it took a whole lot of frogs, believe me.

Kat

RachelW said...

Kat, how did you know which one would turn into a prince? Did you have to kiss them all?

Poetikat said...

Most of them. When I think about it now...ewww!!!

Kat

RachelW said...

Kat... oh yeah, I have kissed my fair share of frogs too, warts and all... ewwww!!