Saturday, February 14, 2009

Daddy

This poem was inspired by a photo by Ken Flett, provided as an image prompt on Every Photo Tells a Story. You can see the photo here. Ken also has an amazing blog, here.

Daddy

And so he drew her head down onto his chest
murmuring a bedtime song
in obscure Germanic tones

And so she soon feigned sleep
hoping he would cradle her in his arms,
carry her carefully to her bed
avoiding corners that could knock knees
and hallway hazards that would jar her awake

And so he would tuck her in
flannel quilt up to her chin
sweep her bangs out of her eyes
then plant a bristly kiss seasoned with cloves
firmly in the centre of her forehead

And so she would remember him this way
strong arms lifting her
she, light as a cat
her small purr beside his rich tenor rumbling


Rachel Westfall
February 14, 2009

8 comments:

Elle said...

how sweet that is. It takes me back to being a little girl, being carried to bed after falling asleep on the couch or the floor in the Living room. :)

jozien said...

Thanks Rachel, for making me remember. I was that girl and probably still am.

colleen said...

Makes me miss my dad. I would like to distill all my feelings into an image like that but there are so many.

Every Photo Tells A Story said...

A lovely interpretation of Ken's picture. This, too, leaves me longing for my childhood when I felt safe in my father's arms. Perfect for Valentine's Day! Have a Happy.

Moanerplicity said...

This piece had such gentle beauty and memorable imagery. What a wonderful tribute to the concept of love!


Happy Hearts Day!

Snatch JOY!

One.

Lin

Lisa said...

lovely- thank you for sharing x

Karen said...

This is lovely! I love the phrasing and the whole picture.

RachelW said...

Thank you all! I was trying to capture that feeling of being a child again. I remember my dad taking my glasses off when I pretended to be asleep in the armchair once, then he noticed my eyelids flickering and made me get up and walk to bed! Bah. I was hoping for a carry.