Saturday, February 7, 2009

I wait

I wait
silently
to cut you down
from the tree
where she hung
your beautiful body
broken and torn.

I wait
to see you whole
to run my fingers
over the scars
that mark the places
where woodland spirits
ran hawthorn needles
and nettle twine
to make of you
a mosaic doll
from the fallen leaves
in gold and amber
gathered from
the forest trail.

I wait
for your stone-blind eyes
retinas seared
white with loss
to turn this way
and see you are
beloved still,
beloved still
to me.


Rachel Westfall
February 6, 2008

11 comments:

Karen said...

"I wait
for your stone-blind eyes
retinas seared
white with loss
to turn this way
and see you are
beloved still,
beloved still
to me."

It's true that poetry can take your breath away. That's what happened to me when I read this one. The longing and the sense of loss are palpable.

RachelW said...

I wasn't sure if this worked. Thank you, Karen!

jozien said...

Rachel! You amazing woman. More then beautiful.

LarryG said...

are you still laughing? every day?
I hope so!
I watched a hilarious movie, wedding crashers, on tv - there were some funny scenes. Christopher Walken can be such a hoot!

christopher said...

Rachel, that happened to me too, I gasped at the end of it. I love your for your art, dear.

RachelW said...

Larry, yes most days! Sometimes it helps to remind myself what is important. And to laugh at myself, too.

Jozien and Christopher, thank you! I feel so very validated by your words.

Lisa said...

wow-you hit me straight in the solar plexus- never doubt you, never xx

Fat Arse said...

"I wait" - beautiful stuff Rachel. Beautiful stuff.

Kyddryn said...

Oh, sugar, that was lovely...

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Linda S. Socha said...

Beautiful. Breathtaking.Love your poetry
Linda

RachelW said...

Thank you all! I really appreciate your encouragement.