Monday, April 6, 2009

All fall down

Check out Catherine Vibert's spring poetry challenge, and if you are poetically inclined, send her some words if you haven't already. The prompts she has given us are Promise and/or Rites of Spring, with elements of Irony, Doubt or Hidden Meaning. That's quite a list of bedfellows!

Here is a sneak preview of my submission, with a reminder to myself to check Catherine's place on Friday to see the goodies she has collected.

All fall down

Send me a daffodil, sweet friend of mine,
and the breath of storm-tossed ocean shore
to remind me that spring is now burgeoning
as I lie in the death-throes of winter.

My body, the land wears a garment of ice
though it shudders and cracks, frayed and soiled
the soft cradling blanket of snow’s nearly gone
from my limbs, thrown so naked in winter.

The sweat, glistening beads like a necklace of pearl
forms across my hot rosy-flushed brow
I toss in the throes of a feverish state
a furnace, denial of winter.

Oh come swift as night, dear friend of mine
bearing posies and rain, nectar dew
the buds on the trees, they are bursting like boils
and my ice splits in mockery of winter.


Rachel Westfall
April 5, 2009

10 comments:

Lisa said...

yes, its a winner ( of course ! )

jozien said...

beautiful Rachel. I love it!

Woman in a Window said...

Holy wow, this line, "the buds on the trees, they are bursting like boils
and my ice splits in mockery of winter."

joker the lurcher said...

so lovely. i would really like to be able to write poetry, but i can't.

ConverseMomma said...

I wish I could do this. I wish I had poetry at my fingertips like you do.

Cherie/ Butterfly Dreamer said...

Glorious spring!

LORENZO said...

"the death throes of Winter"- you have captured it for me! For me, I am the selfish one who longs for the Endless Summer. All the best. LL

RachelW said...

Thank you, all! :) It was kind of fun to think of winter fearing her own death... I didn't start the poem with that idea, but it's more or less where it ended up. Funny how that happens sometimes, how the words take on a life of their own.

Julie said...

Yeah! I'm glad to see a preview, especially one as fine as this. I've been enjoying all the good work at Cat's place, so this is a special treat. Stanza two is my favorite. Great work!

Four seasons said...

She; winter does not fear death; she just moves on--to return again and again!

She turns into sring-then summer-then fall; and yes, back to winter she will appear as lovely as ever.

Mother Nature ;)