Friday, April 3, 2009

Lustful pots

At the back of the shop in old Chinatown
under dusty parades of wicker baskets, behind
a mountain of sneezing cookware
sit the urns, painted white
cobalt and ochre
glazed to a perfect sheen
refracting long-remembered light
and filled inside with painted koi
golden, caught frozen in a wave of motion
so lifelike a cat would sit on the rim
and dip her paw in tenaciously
then slip back, startled to touch air
not water, foiled again by the slippery tease
of the painter’s brush, needing
just a moment to regain her poise

Rachel Westfall
April 2, 2009


Thank you Karen for the inspiration.

11 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

Love that art and history contained within, rich enough to fool the cat.

Lisa said...

loely- just flows like caramel.

Linda S. Socha said...

What a beautifully flowing piece. I felt as if I were walking and looking with the cat. You write with a magic pen
Linda

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely, I can just see the fish and the fooled cat...

Karen said...

I love the whole thing - so well imagined that it can even fool a feline figment of your imagination. Like I said, it's all a matter of perspective.

You are pretty amazing!

Ghost Dansing said...

this poem.....one lucky Chinese cat.........
它是落在唐人街,我會見了鴉片女王babyface女童從上海從未笑一笑,我不哭

RachelW said...

Thank you all! :) Ghost, that is one weird music video. Hmm...

ConverseMomma said...

I love the sneezing cookware. We had a cat that used to try and attack the flowers on the wallpaper. Your poem is much lovelier than that, but it brought me that image and I laughed with delight.

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

Isn't it lovely to uncover a treasure in a shop... whether real or imagined?

I think this is my favorite poem of yours so far. It is filled with such graceful lines and gorgeous figurative language, that is takes my breath away. Fabulous line breaks add to the interest.

Cynthia said...

Hi Rachel, you've written a lovely still-life.
I an just imagine the surprised cat.

SarahA said...

What a beautiful image, you. Beautifully said.