Saturday, May 9, 2009

Crooked stories

A story slides from her crazy lips,
her crooked glasses twinkling
polyester pants pilled, all wrong.

And we lap it up.

We all want to be her, when she walks
her funky walk down the street, at least
that’s what you’d think seeing
the way we egg each other on
until one of us gets brave enough to pull up
and do a perfect mock-up from behind,
a caricature, too short and far too skinny
knock-knees over tall socks,
parody of a parody
but we all laugh anyway, raucous
‘til she shoots a look back-a-way.
Stand perfectly straight, face expressionless
wooden, suppressing giggles, wait…
for her to look away again
and move on down the street
walking her funky walk

but we all want those crooked stories
to slide from her crazy lips,
glasses twinkling, polyester pants pilled
all wrong.

Rachel Westfall
May 9, 2009

10 comments:

Aniquez de los mil luces said...

Ooops you did it again! Another marvelous piece.

We may make all the fun we want of them but life would be much less fascinating minus those crooked stories.

Loved it. :D

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Sorry about the one above. I saw a typo too late!

What I said was that you have captured the carefree callousness of the youths and also the quirkiness of the subject. I agree with Aniques de los mil luces - life would be much less interesting without those people.

Woman in a Window said...

The making fun hurts me, but when children do it, it's understandable, I suppose. You got it all bang-on though, the whole situation. And their wanting her stories inspite of their game, that's telling. I do love it. I just wish we could all be kinder to one another. I wish we could drop the fear that is so natural when people are different.

Rikkij said...

Well told Rach. it jaunts in and out in a fun playful way. Who doesn't like crazy stories? That's why we're here! ~rick

RachelW said...

Aniquez, Karen, Erin, Rick-- thank you all! Crazy stories, yes... I wrote this when I was half asleep, and I'm just glad it makes sense at all! Nothing like bedtime for bringing out stories, eh? And yes, I wish we all could be kinder to one another, too. But when kids grow, often they cherish the stories, and their cheeks redden when they recall the rest.

Kyddryn said...

Lovely, sugar, and beautifully evocative of childhood uncertainty, the jostling for identity and place among one's peers, the struggle to define, accept, understand difference...and perhaps, one day, to celebrate it.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Cynthia said...

Reminds me of my Theatre Professor. Your writing
is natural and engaging, quite authentic.

Julie said...

Fantastic!! You portray the story so well. It's cruel how kids make fun of "funky" people, but it's so true. I love the funky walk! I also love the details(too short, too skinny, socks pulled up). Awesome poem! You're a great storyteller, Rachel.

holly said...

Fun bio! I like the repetition. I can really see this woman!