Friday, June 26, 2009

All clammed up

I welcomed you warmly
inside here, it’s true, the fire stewing charcoal
and my banged-up old tea-kettle
whistling.

Now here you stand, smiling
that Cheshire-cat grin,
that sunshine façade roping me in
all poetry, stories and a fresh
baguette, still crisp
in its brown paper sack
tucked underneath your arm.

So why is it that
all I can think is dammit,
you’re gonna see
right
through
the thin-woven legends
right through into
this twice-mixed, thrice-baked
garage-sale value priced chaos
that I really am

and so you will go
on your merry way, dropping meaningless
promises to call?

Rachel Westfall
June 23, 2009


In poetic conversation with Christopher.

9 comments:

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Good stuff...love how you riff here.

christopher said...

This happens all over. Such a pain. Bear hearts break too.

Snuffing The Air

Bear waddles along
snuffing the air for berries,
wishing she would give
him a chance. He knows
where salmon jump upriver,
would tell her, whisper
in her ear just so
but her ruffled fur proves it.
He's in a losing
game.

Piratedred said...

Rachel,

We all feel like this, but I'm living proof that we will all survive.

Thanks for all the kind words,

Tony

RachelW said...

Cagey, thanks! :)

Christopher, awwww, poor bear. :( I've a feeling she'll come around eventually, though.

Tony, thank you! We are all living proof, aren't we? Each and every one of us.

Just a PSA: I'm going on the road again this evening, so I won't be online much between now and July 1. I've got a couple of posts in the queue, and I'll do my best to keep up with everyone's blogs and comments.

Rikkij said...

Rach- did some of my self esteem drip on you? or lack thereof? Have a nice travel. and I lov value priced chaos!~rick

Woman in a Window said...

I so know these conversations but underneath it, I know the worth, too.

I love the garage-sale value priced chaos, too, and I happen to find vast value in it. Vast.

Poetikat said...

I loved the baguette tucked under the arm. Really nice, revealing piece.

Kat

Michelle Johnson said...

No matter what kind of person you are- they always promise to call. Fortunately I didn't wait by the phone to long. My advice here would be to keep your head up.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love the baguette too, and the fact that it comes with the poetry