Saturday, June 13, 2009

Woodland feast

What is this wild sweet
concoction you have slipped
so slyly into my regular
afternoon tea?

It makes me want to dance
the wild dance of faery,
the slick of forest brine
glossing my skin, the ruddy skin
of a newborn lover.

I love weeds. We eat dandelion greens and lamb's quarters for free all summer, and the rabbits and guinea pigs feast on all the fresh greenery the kids bring in for them.

I have a huge problem with weed killing chemicals. Way back when I was pregnant with my daughter and I was paranoid that she'd have childhood leukemia because she was exposed to so many herbicide sprayed lawns and fields in utero, I had a petition going in Victoria to get the cosmetic use of herbicides banned, as they have been banned in many other communities. I haven't decided yet if I want to make some noise about this here in Whitehorse, too; the city council here doesn't seem very open to environmental concerns. If you are local, you are probably laughing at me right now. Ha! Ha!

Anyway, I did up this little pamphlet with a some information for people about weeds and weed killers. I think the best part about the pamphlet is the dandelion recipes. As soon as the kids got their hands on this pamphlet, we had to try out all the recipes. Our latest concoction is the dandelion syrup, and it's a huge hit. Eventually, I'll get around to indexing the pamphlet from my website, so people can find it, print it off and use it if they want to. But for now, at least I can share it with you.

10 comments:

Faith said...

:) You would love my lawn. Mostly green due to weeds. Dandelions, clovers, plaintain. I have never understood the weed killing mentality.

The recipes look great. I have a friend who uses the dandelion roots as coffee substitue all the time...and burdock roots for tea.

Your poem is beautiful. It does remind me of going to my friend's house. I am never sure what I might be drinking in her ice tea;) Today it was mint and gill-over-the-grouund:D

Catvibe said...

I'm going to have to try that dandelion syrup recipe! I used to feed my bunnies dandelion greens all the time, they LOVED them. I never did care for the taste though. Although I always wanted to try making dandelion wine...

Weed killers suck. You can tell how bad they are by walking through the aisle of the store that sells them. The toxicity comes through the containers that hold them, it is horrendous, YUCK, I don't get it, why people use them.

Love the poem. :-)

Woman in a Window said...

Brilliant. Eat 'em! I just had a Chinese friend cook up some dumplings with pork and dandelion and frig, they were delicious. I'm salivating everywhere now!

Weed killers have been outlawed here just this year. Let the weeds reign! And let the babies crawl! When did we get so stupid to think that we need green lawns and that clothes lines are eyesores? I love me my clothes line and we use a golf club to take the heads of dandelions. It's fun!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Hurray for dandelions! Nice to see someone else making use of them. I have made loads of syrup over the last couple of weeks ans canned it all.

Rikkij said...

Rach- I just love the word "dandelion" Something that sounds like that can't be bad! And your post just reminded me that I dreamt of guinea pigs last night. how weird is that? I have no interest in them and have never thought of them. What's up with that? ~rick

Ghost Dansing said...

dandelions and snapdragons.....

RachelW said...

Faith, yes, I would love your lawn! Your friend's tea sounds wonderful, too.

Cat, yes, absolutely! I agree.

Erin, yay!! Yay for banning weed killers. Yay for clotheslines, too! :)

Kara, yes! One thing we have tons of around here is dandelions, and they are so cheerful, and nutritious besides. Underrated.

Rick, hmm... I wonder what the significance of guinea pigs would be in a dream? It's beyond me.

Ghost, thanks for sharing the artwork... yes, snapdragons too. Wonderful chatty folk, they are.

Michelle Johnson said...

We have plenty of dandelions in our yard for your enjoyment. Come over anytime. I loved your poem. And, I'm intrigued you eat dandelion greens. I'm thinking I must try this now. Have a great night.

SarahA said...

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!


And reply to your comment, you left at my place...yes!

Julie said...

Yay, Rachel! I love your environmental posts and poems. The pamphlet is awesome. Yes, dandelions are good in salads, soup, etc. I haven't had the syrup, so I'll have to try that out. I think they're pretty, too. I don't understand why people want "sculptured" lawns without a speck of color on them. I love weeds and vines and all sorts of growing things. Well, I could do without poison ivy, but other than that, I love to let the wild stuff grow:) Beautiful poem!