Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thrown-away lore

We mapped the stars perfectly, lying
on our backs on dew-covered lawn chairs
until the summer-night chill sent us
running into the safe-sure warmth
of the brick-oven kitchen, steaming mugs of tea
then the dry soft comfort of our beds.

We knew the seven sisters, the bright
corners of secret constellations
and the dark hollow in the swan, pondered
the mystery of what lay on its other side,
its light swallowed whole by some gluttonous
sky-dragon before it found our way.

Somehow we got too old and misplaced
our beloved charts, forgot how the sky
was built from the ribcage of a goddess
torn apart by jealous sons, her heart
ravenous, devouring worlds as her fractured
womb erupted with the angry births of nebulae.

Rachel Westfall
August 29, 2009

12 comments:

namingconstellations said...

It goes without saying that I'm a fan of anything that has "constellations" in it... :) But regardless, this is absolutely gorgeous. All the images that dance with each other are equally appealing, and when you bring them all together, well, to lose any lore is a shame, but to lose lore this beautiful is a travesty. Amazing amazing.

Karen said...

This poem is perfection.

Kyddryn said...

Oh, sugar, this is stunning.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

christopher said...

Why I Became An Astronaut

I snuck around, peered
at you through the hedge and watched
as you pointed up,
pointed to the sky
as if you owned it, whispered
to one another
as you lay gazing
at the stars and I had to
run home, my heart sore.

Woman in a Window said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Woman in a Window said...

I wonder what it is that is behind it all. I see it all. I yearn for it all, except for the aging and forgetting. But I am left to wonder.

"angry births of nebulae"
you word wizard, you.

RachelW said...

Thank you all! :)

Christopher, I knew you were there.

joaquin carvel said...

wow. from "brick-oven kitchen" to "angry births of nebulae" and everything in between - this is a spinning cosmos of its own, swilring in one of those cups of tea. lost and found all at once -i'm slack-jawed.

Michelle Johnson said...

This poem is excellent.

Marie said...

Dear Rachel,

An elegant tale woven with wonder and awe.
The last stanza is stellar. Just magical, you
put this reader deep inside the poem with an
almost holy technique to your writing.

emptygarden said...

I love this! I have been gone for a while, but I'm back to read, hungry for the written word!

Cherie/ Butterfly Dreamer said...

This one made me remember a dark starry night at the age of 11 , my cousin and I lying on our backs studying the constellations.