Sunday, September 27, 2009

For Catherine Vibert

I wrote this little poem for Catherine Vibert, who requested that her readers write her some short interpretive poetry for her birthday. She provided a glorious image to inspire the poetry.

For those of you who don't yet know Catherine, she is an extraordinary painter, poet, and videographer. She is a vital and much-loved part of this creative blogging community.

Happy birthday, Cat!

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

The egg split, transient
as a golden bubble blown
by a downy--headed child
with a wand and tube
of birthday soap.

The egg split, and out
came the sky, birthed
new and gleaming,
dreaming
of a chaos of feathered
wings and the patter
of triumphant storm.

Rachel Westfall
September 26, 2009

5 comments:

namingconstellations said...

Am I allowed to request the same? ;) (Mine's Wednesday.) It's a great idea for a birthday gift among poem-bloggers...

RachelW said...

Joseph, yes! Absolutely! :) It will give me an excuse to let everyone know about your blog, which is something I've been wanting to do.

Woman in a Window said...

The emergence of life from egg. I'd say beautiful image but beautiful is not quite it, is it, with the chaos of feathered wings? Perhaps a different kind of beautiful. Wonderful poem, Rachel. Wonderful gift.
xo
erin

Catvibe said...

:-) Thank you! I love the egg imagery. So perfect really, for this coming year feels like a rebirth of sorts. You are so dear to me Rachel. :-)

RachelW said...

Erin, yes, I suppose it is. I love the gold in Cat's image. It's beautiful, and something else, too.

Cat, I'm so glad. :) We all need a rebirth, now and again. And you are dear to me, too.