Monday, October 26, 2009

Award time!

Thanks, Joseph, for gifting me with a Creative Blogger Award. (If you haven’t checked out Joseph’s blog yet, please do! It’s well worth the visit.)

The Creative Blogger award comes with two requirements: I’m supposed to pass it on to 7 people, but first, and I’m supposed to tell you all seven interesting (bizarre?) bits of trivia about myself.

Alright. Here are the seven oddball tidbits about me:

1) All my life I have dreamed longingly about times before motor vehicles, as something in me rebels against a car-oriented landscape. My young daughter recently said the same thing to me, so maybe it’s genetic.

2) I have ancestors from North America, Europe, and Asia. Maybe in the next generation, a few other continents will get added to the mix. My kids and I have enough variety in us that we qualified to become members of the Yukon Metis Nation. Having no clear ancestry, I’ve felt unrooted all this time.

3) I was fascinated by animal behaviour as a kid and I always thought I’d study it one day. In the end, I majored in botany because I couldn’t justify animal dissection in university.

4) Both my kids were planned homebirths. The first, my son, was a last-minute hospital transfer due to a nervous midwife; the second, my daughter, was a freebirth (no midwife). My daughter was born in a fishie pool. It was wonderful.

5) I love my woodstove and my house full of pets, plants and kids.

6) I don’t own a television, and I probably never will.

7) My dad used to bake cookies using the applesauce he made from the Dolgo crabapple tree he’d planted in the backyard of my childhood home. I can still remember exactly how they tasted. I planted two Dolgos in my yard last year, so maybe I’ll get to taste those cookies again some day soon.

As for picking seven of you to pass this on to, yikes!! Believe me, if I’m following your work, I consider you to be an award-worthy creative blogger. So, I’m going to use this opportunity to spotlight seven of the bloggers who have recently come to my attention.

Check these out for yourself. You won’t regret it.

Word Garden by Shay
In Through the Back Door by Erin
Dancing with the Waves of the Sea by SarahA
Kigo of the Kat, Kat's latest creation
Epiphany by Cynthia
The photographs by Morgaine
Misty afternoon photography by Ida

7 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Congratulations on your well-deserved award, Rachel! You're such a doll to think of me in passing it on. Thank you! :-)

Poetikat said...

Rachel - I loved reading your seven items. We have the animal thing in common; I wanted to be a naturalist, but you know that whole bee-thing got in the way. The fish-pond birth must have been awesome!

Thanks so much for this boost for my blog! I'm especially grateful considering I have had so little time to visit yours and make comments. (I will get right on that!)

Luv ya!

Kat

Cynthia said...

BRAVA Rachel for your award. Mucho gracias
for being so generous as to pass an award
onto me. Homebirths, two of your children,
very impressed you are a brave woman.

SarahA said...

Thank you.

namingconstellations said...

Amen on numbers 1, 5, and 6 (though while I'm not crazy about cars, I think I could spend the rest of my life on trains).

Off to give these blogs you've mentioned a look...!

Woman in a Window said...

Rachel, you are a joy to know. Best seven I've ever read. Seriously. A delicious complexity, you are.

Many thanks.
xo
erin

Ida said...

Thank you so very much Rachel <3 God bless you.

Love, I.