Thursday, November 5, 2009

Your bed is full of dragons

Your bed is full of dragons, their tails
wrapped surreptitiously through clefts and hollows, soft
and abandoned with the breath of your sleep still clinging
like dew to a cottony nest. Your bed

is strewn with nightingales, each one
holding a grand story treasured in her breast, sung clear
as mountain air to the delight
of dreams, the sweep of meadows. The breath

of dragons, the clinging of nightingales sticks fast
to the cuffs of your flannel pyjamas, abandoned
in a crumpled lonesome pile as you dashed forgetful,
forgotten, singing your donkey song into a bright new day.
 
Rachel Westfall
November 5, 2009

9 comments:

catloesje@hotmail.com said...

Beautiful!
Dragons and nightingales,
again your poetry creates beautiful images in my mind.
Me, i will try to sing my donkey song, this morning, where the moon shines softly on the snow.

Annie King said...

I love the way you associate seemingly disparate things together, in a way that makes perfect sense. Your writing is beautiful and memorable. Each line compels the reader to the next.

Fireblossom said...

*smiles* :-)

Julie said...

Oh, Rachel! This is so beautiful and makes me smile. It's also very musical, which I love. The clefts and hollows are dreamy, and I adore "the breath of your sleep/still clinging like dew to a cottony nest."

Actually, I should just copy the whole poem here as an example of what I love. But I do have to mention "donkey song." That is awesome. Your work is so very beautiful, sister. What a lovely way to start the weekend. I hope yours is a good one:)

Karen said...

Rachel - I love that you celebrate your children. You have the good sense to know how lucky you are, and that is a wonderful thing.

Your poems make me miss my own babies (probably your age!) and wish my grandchildren lived closer. There's no better feel than a baby fresh from sleep.

Beautiful work!

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

I love this one so much. Dragons for strength and nightingales, for beauty. Given these your child is truly blessed.

SarahA said...

I always think something is well written, when the words read stay with you long after your eyes have caressed them. As will these. I know.Such a magical feel to them.

joaquin carvel said...

this is, as has been said, a wonderous slice of childhood magic. from the title all the way through - loved it.

Ardi K said...

I love it. Good work, R.