Saturday, April 10, 2010

As I rode on down the street

A man stood still at the edge of the curb,
head curved down, back quivering.

He gazed out over his rag-tag boots
with their dusty laces, ends so frayed
giggling ripples, a tremor
at the dandelions that pushed
with riotous, orange glory
through the crusted pavement

all along the side of the road.

Cars sped by, and trucks, ten wheels
spitting gravel with the viciousness
of angry serpents, rubber skins
black-treaded, steaming a hiss
with the new-found heat

of spring‘s reborn gold sun.

So he stood, that man in his well-scuffed boots,
face round and red as the second
full moon of autumn, giggling waves
while the delinquent tassled blooms
exhaled their innocently golden breath
pure and sweet as the bees’ first treasure

over the rising grey dust of spring.

Rachel Westfall
April 10, 2010

9 comments:

christopher said...

He Stood On The Side Of The Road

In his ragged heart
a melody threads its way
through the columns, red
pillars of thought found
under the brighter spring's light
as he remembers
what went between them,
what was said and what was done
in the winter's dark.

Woman in a Window said...

Frig, what can be said to this one except beautiful imagery? Or what Christopher said...ha!

Beautiful beautiful poem.

xo
erin

namingconstellations said...

The juxtaposition of the sublime and the profane... nature won't be suppressed and someone will always appreciate that. Love it. :)

RachelW said...

I was wondering why nobody commented on this poem; I thought maybe it really sucked. Haha! Silly me. THe three of you wonderful people left me these lovely comments, and I didn't check the blog until now. I don't know why I'm not getting the usual email notifications.

Christopher, that is just lovely... and I can feel a poetic reply wanting to happen. It will, I'm sure. I just need to allow myself a bit of time for it.

The Rain Crab said...

Really a good one Rach... loved reading it!
Thanks! :)

Chandrika Shubham said...

Nice one. Enjoyed reading it. :)

RachelW said...

Rain Crab and Chandrika, thank you!!

Annie said...

This poem is a wonderful mouthful to read aloud! I love the sound, the rhythm changes- speed up and slow down, and the story images.

"Cars sped by, and trucks, ten wheels
spitting gravel with the viciousness
of angry serpents, rubber skins
black-treaded, steaming a hiss
with the new-found heat

of spring‘s reborn gold sun."

Ardi K said...

good poetry evokes great comments
I so enjoy your inner vision