Friday, May 7, 2010

Real estate

I’ve heard that time seems to speed up as you get older. I didn’t expect it to happen so suddenly, and I’m nowhere near halfway to the finish line. Somehow, as everything races by, I keep missing the opportunity to write down a few lines of poetry.

I started a poem about a week ago, a haiku, and I saved it because it felt like it needed more than three lines to reach completion. Upon re-reading, though, I quite like it the way it is, so I'm posting it, just like that.

Real estate

Windows beckon light
through a shroud, a spider’s veil
farmhouse rotting silk

Rachel Westfall
April 29, 2010

5 comments:

juliebuff said...

Hi, Rachel! It's so good to see you. I'm glad you had the time to write this poem. It is very beautiful. The title is a great contrast to the images you give us...the real life and stories behind the real estate. I love it!

christopher said...

Tastes Like Green Bananas

I stand back from light,
the pulse of it streaming by,
stick my finger in,
watch the splash, little
flecks coming loose that fly off
and then disappear.
I feel light's passage,
pull my finger out, staring,
then lick it all off.

Woman in a Window said...

Why hold onto anything? Let it breathe.


There is a sort of perfection in the incomplete, isn't there? A kind of completion, too, ironically.

(good to read you too)

xo
erin

S.L. Corsua said...

A very strong image. Beginning with a close-up, then panning out to take it all in. Like real life, eh? At times we hesitate to look away from the little things. Big picture, cold feet. ;)

Poetikat said...

The title for this one is excellent! I'm reminded of Robert Frost with the spider's web and the choice of "rotting silk" is really vivid.

Kat