Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If the dust runs through

If the dust runs through on a lonely wind
and the dance of the down
on the back of your hand weaves a shiver,
the gods are grumbling now,
trembling shake as they wake
disturbed by the mountain’s tale
of a low, slow groaning whisper

If the wind skirts round
through anemic trees, leaves brown
rattle-rattling their dry lament
dissipated as a long-ago kiss,
pale mouth shale and withered
then you’ll see why I’ve gone
why I’ve left you here, tumbled down

Rachel Westfall
June 8, 2010

6 comments:

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Anemic trees, dessicatted leaf...

Wonder what life underneath all the worm castings...

Annie said...

This is a powerful poem, both in how its written and the emotion it conveys. I enjoy the music and sound of the lines and the changes in rhythm that give the lines a stop and go momentum. It captures the feel of wind, and the bleakness of abandonment.

Rob-bear said...

That's so sad, Rachel.

christopher said...

Here I go again. Thanks for your concern, dear.

The Edges I Have Found

The wind seeks a path
through the tangles of your hair,
through the weave of you.

I seek the way back
from the edges I have found
though this stand gives me
vistas I cannot
explain without resorting
to the old stories.

You are mystery
beyond my ken, and your scent
peels me from my bones.

RachelW said...

This is one of your very best, Christopher. Maybe you should disappear more often. ;) After a good night's sleep, I may be able to respond more properly. Sweet Jozien called to tell me she heard from you!

Cygnus, Annie, Rob-Bear; thank you! Rob, I have a bear haiku challenge coming up, thanks to you. :)

Woman in a Window said...

Rachel, here you are metered and balanced and inspired. I could read this one over and over again before the meaning really settles in. Beautiful writing.

xo
erin