Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Magic

The latest obsession in my house is Magic the Gathering. My son and I were at an event recently at our local gaming store, where we got to play and keep some of the new cards that will be coming out later this week. In the final match, I glanced over to my son's table to see how he was doing, and I caught a maniacal gleam in his eye. I could tell by his grin that he'd won again.

The idea of trying to capture the spirit of all this in poetry has been nagging me for a while. I thought I'd try a little haiku, because it's so often a good way to kick-start my writing, and the restrictive form sometimes inspires me to rebel and write a longer piece. But how can I even hope to capture the excitement, the teenage boy hangout, the smells, and the anticipation that go along with a pre-release event? Here's my first attempt.


Summer brings new spells
Dark room, testosterone filled
Bright demonic grin

8 comments:

Rob-bear said...

You did very well at capturing that in haiku. (I have a 30 something son who still does that sort of thing.)

jozien said...

now does that testosterone
cause winning and then they grin
or does it cause the grinning so they win

Leonie Lemphers said...

I agree, I especially love the last sentence.

I love the name "Magic the Gathering," I'm just reading a series about King Arthur and it reminds me of times such as those with all mystery and rawness of a land which must have been strikingly beautiful in it's lush greenness. Is the game a card game?

RachelW said...

Thanks for the encouragement! Jozien, you made me smile with that one! :)

Leonie, yes, it's a trading card game (sort of a step up in maturity from Pokemon, YuGiOh, Chaotic etc.) I like the name too, and the mythological creatures and artwork on some of the cards are really appealing as well. Trading card games are a tad addictive, though!

lakeviewer said...

I came from Rob-bear to read the poetry and meet you.

reberto.alberto said...

Hi there!

Shortstorybook.net is organizing a short story writing contest.

We do think that you too might have a marvelous story to tell, one that is your own! So if you can compose it in not more than few words, we would want to hear from you. Also, you stand a chance to get your story published on our site and win cash prize of USD 100.

“Then what are you waiting for? …put on your thinking cap and get writing. For registration and other information check - http://bit.ly/short-story-contest-2010

Happy writing!

namingconstellations said...

Hey there, stranger... been a while, but I'm trying to make my usual rounds again. :)

I played Magic from 1994 to 2001 (my older brother still plays, nine years later, and my younger one does too), and as much of a cash/time drain as it can be, it occasionally, believe it or not, can be educational and inspiring. I learned some great new words (mostly centered on fantasy concepts, admittedly) and had some great story ideas as a kid from playing Magic. Just don't let it get out of hand. ;)

emptygarden said...

My son is just getting old enough to start using that "bright demonic grin". You nailed this one! ;-)