Monday, February 14, 2011

The secret lives of goblins

We rattle our pikes and sigh
thin goblin sighs
in green and brown,
tired of the weight our helms,
fatigued by these codpieces
of beaten leather.

We hope you don’t notice
the rich soil under my nails,
a telltale sign
of my secret gardening habit, nor
the softness of the tunic
my companion wears,
chewed and sewn so lovingly
by his dear, sweet goblin bride.

We rattle our pikes and sigh
whistling goblin sighs
in red and puce, then
we lower our points and prepare
to ululate ferociously
as we charge pell mell
down the weather-beaten hill.

Rachel Westfall
February 14, 2011


7 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Goblins and their sweet goblin brides are always a fine subject. I love this!

Kat Mortensen said...

Fabulous! Do you know the Rosetti's "Goblin Market"?

Kat

christopher said...

:D What a relief, a Rachel poem. A fine Rachel poem. This beats hell out of stewing on my health.

Spousal Remarks

My wife's teeth wore out
chewing my shoes and leather
shirt, how it should be,
I guess, certainly
how it is.

We won't tell you
our true goblin names,
not for all the tea
you grow in Chinese
gardens, not for all the gold
in your dragon's hoard.

RachelW said...

I love it, Christopher! Not many people can get into the goblin mindset, you know. It is not always considered a desirable attribute, but for me, it's highly valued.

RachelW said...

Kat, I don't know it! Should I look it up? Is it noteworthy?

Fireblossom, thanks! I am glad you agree.

Julie said...

Hi, Rachel! Oh, this is so awesome. The "rich soil under my nails" is fantastic, though I do love it all. I never knew about the secret lives of goblins:) Wonderful poem!

He ment well (sometimes did) said...

Christopher suggested that I look through your archives, I’m glad I have. Not often have our lesser brethren (they would say greater) been allowed gentle words. To their way of thinking we are uncouth and dull, to experience Goblanity is something every self- respecting human should be over joyed to do.
I am new to this poetry world, having limited myself, and I find that your poems speak well to me. Why this surprises me I don’t know, the writing of good authors has always resonated in my mind and soul; maybe I have been suffering from a childhood misconception that poetry is only words jumbled together in a clever way with no meaning. Thank you for sharing this with me and others.