Sunday, May 22, 2011

I remember you like this

Your back bent over the garden
as you laid mottled stones in a row:
a highway for slugs or rain-slick
homes for shining black beetles

shovel and rake leaned by the wall
handles crossed like dear old friends
companions in the long winter
months of dusty shed hibernation

and the pansies, reseeded from last year
quite by accident, purple and white faces
shamelessly gazing skyward until you
carefully loosed them from the soil

with expert hands and a rusty trowel
and laid them in loose bundles
on the grass, roots down, tops up: in stasis
as you dig them a new corner row

Rachel Westfall
May 22, 2011

9 comments:

Heaven said...

nice imagery ~ i enjoy gardening ~

christopher said...

In Our Garden

I know you watch me
as I dig in our moist earth
searching for worm holes
and the rich castings
found in the passage of time.

My broad muscled dream,
best dream of my life
rises to the heat of you,
your demanding care.
I have planted you
deep in me as if I were
woman to you and love
itself the member.

RachelW said...

Oh, wow, Christopher. Christopher!

christopher said...

*blush*

Rob-bear said...

We no longer have a garden. We're now living in one of those human filing cabinets called an apartment building.

Can't say I miss the garden; it was more work than I could handle.

But you have shared your garden with me. That is sufficient.

jozien said...

as always, you still write so beautiful Rachel

He ment well (sometimes did) said...

I have to say I like the way your poems flow, so simple, so clean and very discriptive.
in stasis
as you dig them a new corner row
I'm in stasis in my life, my out of writing life, so this line spoke to me.

namingconstellations said...

Love that "rain-slick homes for shining black beetles" line... gem among gems. The title adds another layer that makes me suspect there's much more going on here than "just" gardening...

RachelW said...

Thank you, friends :)